Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A second face of Zambia's Justice System

A Lusaka woman of Old Kanyama Township asked local court to grant her divorce because her husband had married another woman.

Barbara Mwape sued George Kangwa for divorce saying that she could not live with a polygamous man. Mwape, 29, who has two children with Kangwa, 36, said he had also stopped providing for her family since he married another woman. She said, it was therefore, not necessary for her to continue living with a man who did not understand the needs of a woman and a home.
"At the moment I live with my elder sister because I was chased from my marital home when I confronted my husband over his womanising," Mwape said. Mwape told the court that she caught him committing adultery on several occasions.

But Kangwa told Senior Presiding Magistrate Henry Mwananshiku sitting with Senior Court magistrate Beatrice Nasilele that he married another woman because Mwape disrespects him.
"I love my wife so much but her problem is beer drinking which she has failed to stop. When I met her she told me she does not take alcohol but it became different in marriage," said Kangwa.
He told the court that United Church of Zambia had on two occasions stopped her from wearing women's fellowship uniform because of her beer drinking.

The court dissolved the marriage and order Kangwa to pay Mwape ZMK3.5 million (US$700) as compensation in installment of K100,000 (US$20) and K150,000 (US$30) each month for the maintenance of the children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment